The CPS is one of the UK’s oldest and most influential leading free-market think-tanks, founded in 1974 by Margaret Thatcher and Sir Keith Joseph. The Centre exists to promote the principles of free markets and a free society. It also operates the CapX website, which acts as a platform for the best thinking on politics and economics.
For any of the roles below, please send a CV and cover letter outlining why you would be suitable for this role to Bryony Betts ([email protected]) putting ‘[Your Name] (Job Application)’ in the subject line. Candidates may be asked to produce an original writing sample as part of the application process.
Job Title: Operations and Development Officer/Manager (maternity cover)
Working for: Centre for Policy Studies
Location: Westminster, 3 days a week in the office
Salary: Depending on experience
Role: Full time
Closing Date: 11 December 2023 (may appoint before deadline)
The Centre for Policy Studies, the leading centre-right think tank, is looking for an enthusiastic individual to manage the day to day running of the office and to support our fundraising and private events programme.
2024 will not only likely see a General Election, but also the CPS celebrate its 50th Anniversary, an important part of which will be a high quality events programme. This role will play an integral part supporting the entire CPS team from research to events and fundraising at this incredibly exciting time for the CPS.
We are looking for a highly organised and motivated individual with good attention to detail, a clear understanding and interest in UK politics, the ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines, and who excels when working in a small team.
The role will be working closely with the Operations, Development and Events teams reporting to the Head of Development.
The Centre for Policy Studies operates a flexible, hybrid working policy but we do envision this role will be primarily office-based.
Responsibilities will include:
- Independently manage office procedures to create and maintain a pleasant work environment for all staff.
- Work independently to fulfill all office management duties including, maintenance, mailing, supplies, equipment, bills, errands etc.
- Manage the company Paypal, office petty cash, G-Suite, shared calendar and boardroom.
- Coordinate with the Communications team to register new publications and order physical copies of reports.
- Cultivate a workplace culture that engages employees by planning and organising activities including company socials, celebrations as well as staff presents and cards for significant events.
- Research and carry out any other ad hoc office management tasks that arise.
- Helping to plan and organise a programme of development events that compliments the work of the CPS and engages key stakeholders.
- Planning and organising a programme of private fundraising events that compliments the work of the CPS and boosts the profile of the think tank and its sister website CapX
- Working closely with the Head of Development to identify and pursue potential funding leads and sponsorship opportunities
- Managing logistics for private events in the CPS/CapX calendar, from conception to delivery, including contracts with venues and events suppliers, speaker liaison, attendee outreach and guest list management
- Providing briefings to the Director, Managing Director other team members ahead of meetings and events
- Managing the CPS’s associate membership programme including billing, database management and keeping the CRM up to date
- Supporting the Events team with the planning and delivery of public events including helping to deliver flagship events and sponsored activities such as CPS and CapX activities at Conservative Party Conference and any other events as needed
- Organise logistics for Conservative Party Conference and the opportunity to support the delivery of our conference programme with 4 days in Birmingham
- Carry out other duties as and when required in order to contribute to the efficient running of the CPS
Required experience and skills:
- Highly organised
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong relationship management and experience in dealing with key stakeholders
- Ability to prioritise own workload and work to deadlines
- Team player with the ability to confidently lead the team when managing events
- Good written and oral communication skills
- An interest in and knowledge of UK politics and current affairs
- Sympathetic to the values of the Centre for Policy Studies
Desirable experience and skills:
- Previous experience in office and event management
- Use of a CRM
Closing Date: 5 December 2023
Interviews: Will take place on a rolling basis. The CPS may appoint before the closing date.
Start Date: ASAP/January
Please send a CV and cover letter outlining why you would be suitable for this role to Bryony Betts ([email protected]) putting ‘[Your Name] (Job Application)’ in the subject line.
We are always on the lookout for talented young people with a clear affinity for our values and aims, and who show a genuine interest in our core policy areas. We therefore welcome internship applications from university students, gap year students and recent graduates on a running basis.
If you are interested in interning at the CPS, please email your application to: [email protected]
Please ensure that your CV is no longer than two pages and that you state your availability in your cover letter. You should also provide 600-800 words in answer to one of the following questions:
- How can tax reform boost economic growth?
- Is an ageing population the UK’s most intractable policy challenge?
- What can the government do to fix Britain’s housing market?
We pay successful applicants according to national minimum wage rates and we would ideally like you to spend between four and twelve weeks with us.
The goal of this internship is for you to gain an understanding of the workings of a think tank while developing and expanding your skill set; and for us to benefit from your diligence and enthusiasm in completing a variety of tasks.
Your responsibilities may include: assisting on research papers, collating and analysing data, contributing articles to CapX, helping out at events and assisting the operations team.
Our internship programme is highly competitive and we receive a high volume of applications. We regret that we are therefore unable to respond to unsuccessful candidates.