In this section you will find information about the cookies that may be set when you visit this website and how to reject or delete those cookies.
- How to control and delete cookies
- List of the main cookies on this website
- Third Party Cookies
- Local Shared Objects (Flash Cookies)
- Admin and members areas of this website
1. How to control and delete cookies
which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of browsers. You will also find details on how to delete cookies from your computer as well as more general information about cookies. For information on how to do this via the browser on your mobile phone you will need to refer to your handset manual. Please be aware that restricting cookies may impact on the functionality of this website. This website uses services provided by other companies (e.g. Google, Facebook ) who also set cookies on this website on our behalf in order to deliver the services that they are providing. If you would like more information about the cookies used by these suppliers, as well as information on how to opt-out, please continue reading.
2. List of the main cookies on this websiteThis is a list of the main cookies set by this website, and what each is used for.
|PHPSESSID||This is a session cookie stored in the computer's memory only during a user's browsing session and are automatically deleted from the user's computer when the browser is closed. This cookie stores a session ID that is not personally identifiable to users, allowing the user to move from page to page without having to log-in repeatedly. Session cookies are never written on the hard drive and they do not collect any information from the user's computer. Session cookies expire at the end of the user's browser session and can also become no longer accessible after the session has been inactive for a specified length of time, usually 20 minutes. This cookie may also be used to store information such as the contents of a shopping cart or to provide feedback messages to users during your browsing session.|
3. Third Party CookiesThis website uses a number of suppliers who also set cookies on this website on its behalf in order to deliver the services that they are providing. If you would like more information about the cookies used by these suppliers, as well as information on how to opt-out, please see their individual privacy policies listed below. Google Analytics
|__utmb __utmc __utma __utmz __utmv __utmx _ga||This website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. Google Analytics sets a number of cookies in order to evaluate your use of this website and enable us to carry out actions including (but not limited to) :|
- Tracking the number of visitors to this website.
- Monitoring the number of users on the website at any given time.
- Analysing popular content on this website.
Google stores the information collected by these cookies on servers in the United States. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. By using this website, you consent to the processing of data about you by Google in the manner and for the purposes set out above. How to reject or delete this cookie www.google.com
|__cfduid||The __cfduid cookie is used to override any security restrictions based on the IP address the visitor is coming from. For example, if the visitor is in a coffee shop where there are a bunch of infected machines, but the visitor's machine is known trusted, then the cookie can override the security setting. It does not correspond to any userid in the web application, nor does the cookie store any personally identifiable information.|
|Addthis.com third party cookie used to access functions like print, email, Facebook, Twitter and others.|
We sometimes embed photos and video content from websites such as YouTube, Vimeo and Flickr. As a result, when you visit a page with content embedded from, for example, YouTube, Vimeo or Flickr, you may be presented with cookies from these websites. This website does not control the dissemination of these cookies. You should check the relevant third party website for more information about these.
You are able to opt out of Google Advertising Features by following the below steps:
- Visit the Allow & block ads tab.
- In the sidebar, make sure that “Content” is selected.
- In the horizontal bar across the top of the page, click the Ad serving tab.
- Use the controls on the page to block the ad formats that you don’t want to appear on your web pages.
We would like to draw your attention to the fact that this website now carries embedded ‘share’ buttons to enable users of the site to easily share articles with their friends through a number of popular social networks. Examples of Social networks that provide sharing services are:
Sharing may be faciliated by the use of 3rd party services provided by other companies, for example, ShareThis (www.sharethis.com
) or AddThis (www.addthis.com
) These sites may set a cookie when you are also logged in to their service. this website does not control the dissemination of these cookies and you should check the relevant third party website for more information about these. Login Tools
This website may use a 3rd party service to allow users to login with an account the user holds with a Social Networking site. Examples of this are the ability to sign in with Twiiter or Facebook accounts. This website does not control the dissemination of these cookies which are used authenticate users.
4. Local Shared Objects (Flash Cookies)
This website may use the Adobe Flash Player to deliver its video content using services or software. Software and services we use include:
To improve user experience, Local Shared Objects - or Flash Cookies as they are commonly known - are employed to provide features such as auto-resume and for saving your preferences. Flash Cookies are stored on a user's terminal much the same as cookies are, however it is not possible to manage them at browser level in the same way. How to disable Flash Cookies:
The Adobe website provides comprehensive information on how to delete or disable Flash cookies either for a specific domain like bbc.co.uk or for all websites - see www.adobe.com
for details. Please be aware that restricting the use of Flash Cookies may affect the features available to you for Flash based applications such as this website iPlayer. Please note that if you disable your Flash cookies for this website you may be unable to watch video content
5. Admin and members areasThis website contains areas which are not accessible without logging in using a username and / or password. These restricted areas are used for a range of activities including the administration of the website, the provision of members only content, and management of users profiles. Access to these areas is controlled by a Session Cookie which is deleted automatically at the end of your browsing session, however if you choose to tick a ‘remember me’ checkbox to automatically log you in to the account this is managed with a standard Cookie that will be set to persist for a long period of time. This may also be achieved by the use of 3rd party systems like Facebook connect. Within these restricted areas other cookies may be set automatically. These cookies are associated with scripts and applications that are used as part of the administration system (for example by WYSIWG content editors).