In a new paper “A Pensions and Savings Manifesto”, published Tuesday 2 May 2017 by the Centre for Policy Studies, Michael Johnson outlines some pensions- and savings-related policy proposals for political parties to consider for their General Election manifestos.
The policy proposals embrace the pursuit of simplification, transparency, and fairness, both intra- and inter-generational.
The paper puts forward proposals in eight broad strands.
- Restructure the incentives to save.
- Raise the private pension age to 60.
- Enhance the Lifetime ISA.
- A Workplace ISA to reinforce automatic enrolment.
- Introduce auto-protection.
- Liberate the National Employment Savings Trust.
- Seed a Sovereign Wealth Fund with LGPS assets.
- Other proposals.