Many of this morning’s newspapers led with coverage of the latest Centre for Policy Studies report, calling for a Royal Commission on the future of the NHS.
In the face of thousands of appointment cancellations, the NHS is struggling and its future looks uncertain. A Royal Commission on the NHS – The Remit, by Maurice Saatchi and Dominic Nutt, sets out how a cross-party body could investigate and examine the current NHS – infrastructure, funding, and set-up – and set out a range of fully costed options for how the service could operate for the next several decades.
The Telegraph’s front page article highlighted the potential cost savings of an NHS overhaul, quting the report’s figures that “efficiencies are estimated to be worth a further 3 per cent of GDP”.
Camilla Cavendish suggests in a piece for the Sunday Times that a royal commission might be the best option as “a grown-up conversation about healthcare needs a long run-up”.
- Maurice Saatchi for the Mail on Sunday – If you daren’t be bold on the NHS YOU’LL be on the critical list
- Robert Colvile for The Times – Royal commission could find cure for ailing NHS
- Camilla Cavendish for The Sunday Times – Call Dr Stalin: the NHS must be forced to unify
- The Telegraph – A Royal Commission is the best way out of this NHS crisis
- The Telegraph – Royal Commission overhaul could hand the NHS an extra £5.6billion from shake-up
- The Telegraph – 8 things you might have missed this weekend
- The Telegraph – The perpetual crisis in the NHS will not be remedied without deep reform”
- Nick Timothy for The Telegraph – The Coalition’s NHS reforms have proved disastrous. We need a Royal commission to fix them
- The Sun – The Sun says: Healthy debate
- The Sun – Britain must rethink how our crisis-ridden NHS is run – and politicians from all sides need to fix it
- City A.M. – Tory peer Lord Saatchi calls for Royal Commission to save the NHS
- Independent – Independent inquiry ‘only way’ to guarantee agreement on future NHS funding as May says 55,000 cancelled appointments are ‘part of the plan’
- i News – Former Tory chairman Lord Saatchi says Royal Commission needed to safeguard the NHS
- Public Finance – Think-tank calls for NHS Royal commission
- Healthcare Leader – Could a Royal Commission save the NHS?
Date Added: Monday 8th January 2018