Restrictions on house buying by people who don’y pay tax in the UK need to be brought in in order to place home ownership at the front of the policy agenda, reports Christopher Hope in The Telegraph.
In his new report, ‘Homes for Everyone’, Chris Philp MP points out that foreign buyers are snapping up large numbers of new-build homes and preventing Brits from getting on the housing ladder.
As The Telegraph piece points out, this is not a matter of a few isolated cases.
“Mr Philp highlighted a development in Baltimore Wharf, in London’s Docklands, where nine out of 10 of 2,999 apartments were sold abroad.
In another development in Manchester 94 per cent of 230 flats went to non-UK residents, more than half of them to a company based in the British Virgin Islands.”
Read the full piece on The Telegraph’s website.
- Daily Mail – Ban foreign investors from snapping up half of new homes, says Tory MP: Backbencher makes suggestion as Government targets building 300,000 properties each year
- The Sun – Brits ‘N Mortar. Theresa Ma urged to limit number of homes available to foreign buyers to give Brits a chance
- City A.M. – Leading think tank calls for half of new homes to be reserved for Britons
- Independent – Foreign nationals should be banned from buying more than half of houses in new developments, says Tory MP
- CapX – The 14 graphs that explain Britain’s housing crisis
- Conservative Home – Chris Philp: Building more homes is not enough – let’s reserve a proportion of them for UK residents
- Politics Home – Hold half of new build homes for British-based buyers, says Tory MP
- This is London – Croydon MP Chris Philp wants ban on the amount of homes foreign nationals can buy
- 24housing – Affordable housing disputes are ‘costing London homes’
- Property Wire – Report outlines planning reforms needed to boost new home building in the UK
- Showhouse – Reserve half of new homes for UK residents, says MP[ER1]
- Estate Agent Today – Senior Tory wants 50% of new London homes reserved for Britons
- Planning Source (subscribers only) – Tory MP calls for s106 exemptions for developments of under 100 units
Date Added: Wednesday 13th December 2017