Today’s top stories from and about the CPS as well as some of the top content from the wider political web.
- The Sunday Times quoted Director Tim Knox in an article on the tax squeeze in the coming budget – The tax squeeze is about to get worse (£)
- Head of Economic Research Ryan Bourne spoke to the Sunday Express about the stabilisation of the UK jobless number – Stable jobless figure sparks recovery hope
- Publicservice.co.uk reported on CPS Research Fellow Tony Lodge’s insistence that the Coalition is gambling with Britain’s energy policy – Playing politics in the power game
- Web 2.0 Manager Lewis Brown blogged on Commonwealth Day and whether old and new organisations might replace the creaking post-World War institutions – Happy Commonwealth Day! And many more!
- Friday evening saw Kathy Gyngell release the latest instalment of her Daily Mail Right Minds blog – Ditch child benefit, bring back the child tax allowance and end the State’s three decade assault on the family
- Jack Straw called for a referendum on any Lords reform proposals (Enough Lords squabbling. Here’s my solution, The Times) – something our Research Fellow Matt Qvortrup advocated last week – It’s the Law: Why a referendum on Lords reform is constitutionally sound and desirable
A selection of good reads seen online today by the CPS team.
- Economy is being knocked off course – Allister Heath, City A.M.
- The Lib Dems want higher taxes? Very well. The Tories should make sure everyone knows – Benedict Brogan, The Telegraph
- Next week George Osborne should announce the biggest ever tax cuts for working families – Tim Montgomerie, Conservative Home
- A coalition breakdown may come sooner than we think – Jackie Ashley, The Guardian
- Cameron is too casual for his own and our good – Max Hastings, FT (£)
- The Government’s attempt to fix the Backbench Business Committee would take back power for the executive – Matthew Barrett, Conservative Home
- The government should protect the right of Christians to be visible – Andrew Lilico, Conservative Home
- You can’t guard completely against these horrors – Richard Kemp, The Times (£)
- A special relationship once more – Robert Winnett, The Telegraph
- Big challenges ahead for Obama and Cameron – The Telegraph
- Can the London-Rome Liberal axis convince Europe of the road ahead? – Dr. Emanuele Canegrati, The Commentaor
- VIDEO: Powering America – New nuclear power documentary from The Heritage Foundation
The CPS is not responsible for the content of external links, nor does it endorse the opinions contained within.
Date Added: Monday 12th March 2012